I’ve been feeling pretty dreary lately. Not motivated…not full of gusto. Nada. I had the day off from work on Friday and decided that maybe it was my surroundings that had me down in the dumps. JP and I have been sick recently, and my condo has been a bit dishelved. I figured a good clean of the condo would help lift the mood in the place and would definitely make me feel better. I didn’t do anything crazy, but isn’t it amazing how just a quick clean up can make a difference? I’ve included a before picture of the desk area that we use:
Notice cords everywhere (we’re iPod junkies), an Ohio State calendar still turned to May. Mailing and important papers tucked erractically in the mail bin. Freebies from a recent career fair I worked spread all over (helloo Dr. Scholls!). I started by pulling out this blue basket and also my garbage can/recycle bin. I went through all the old magazines, papers we didn’t need, and items that could be donated and just separated everything so I could see what I was working with better. Then I tossed the calendar out (there are only 2.5 months left anyways), and wiped down all of the surfaces with anti-bacterial cleaner.
1. We have a gray plastic tub that houses all of our DVDs (that we actually never watch). Its tucked between the wall and the desk and outta sight. We like it like that. On top of the bin, we have a black plastic filing system that isn’t the most beautiful (and is completely unorganized) but works its purpose. I made a tiny nook behind the bin for my laptop bag for work so I can tuck it outta sight as soon as I get home from work.
2. I dusted off the lamp, pic of JP and I and stationed Mr. Pooda at the top of our lamp area. He was a gift from Valentine’s day this year from JP, and he oversees all of our desk/internet surfing needs.
3. Can you guess what my next desk project is?! I’ve been drooling all over these babies since most recently seeing them here on Jen’s site iHeart Organizing. I’m waiting for assistance with the wall drill and leveling. Stay tuned!
4. The mail sorter is still outta sorts. But I removed some of the bigger, bulkier pieces that could go in our trusty filing system (see #1).
5. You can barely see it in the picture, but I picked up a $3 black snap bin that tucks perfectly into the cubby hole. It’s perfect for corraling all of our loose cords, note pads, digital cameras, etc.